Tuesday 15 January 2019

15/1/2019 Dorja, Lilith & The Knight, & Indya @ The Unicorn

An interesting night at one of my favourite Camden venues. First on is Indya - a band/artist who has been around for several years in one form or another but I haven't seen until now. A strange mixture of someone who seems more suited to auditioning for Pop Idol or The Voice than playing in a grotty rock toilet. She has personality and seems to genuinely like her rock music, although she seems more desperate to be a pop star.
Her backing band are a proper rock 'n roll outfit and are very good. Indya are worth checking out if they head your way and their singer certainly throws herself wholeheartedly into the performance even if it does seem a bit full of 'rock-by-numbers' box ticking cliche at times.

Next up are Lilith and the Knight. I've been trying to get to see this band since being given a promo CD some time ago, but things (like over officious security at The Crowndale at Camden Rocks Festival) have always conspired against me. So now I finally get to see them and.... WOW!
Basically this is a metal band, and a pretty good one technically - although apart from the singer who really looks the business they look like an indie hipster outfit - all that's missing is the beards! They sound good though, if not that heavy. The vocals are much better than I was expecting and I'm very pleasantly surprised - proper actual singing instead of the more fashionable and generic grunting and screaming found in metal these days. This lady also has real stage presence and is very good at fronting a band. It looks like a lot of work has gone into her performance - very polished and professional.
I am suitably impressed and will definitely be checking this band out again. They don't seem to play very often but they are definitely going on my 'Ones to watch' list...

Tonight's headliners are Dorja. I've been aware of this band for a while but this is the first time I've actually seen them.
Unlike the previous band this lot are less heavy and more commercial with more of a classic rock sound - but none the worse for it. I think the bass player looks familiar from somewhere.
Then I realise it is Becky Baldwin, who I saw at Big Red a while ago playing with iDestroy. I did her a disservice by thinking she was only standing in with Dorja tonight, but actually she is a full time member of the band. Sorry Becky!
This multinational band are very polished and professional and play in many countries around the World.
Dorja have some good songs and are lively performers - certainly worth catching if they are heading to your town.

Another great value for money night at The Unicorn with free admission, cheap bar prices, and excellent music! I'm really glad I finally managed to see Lilith and the Knight too - well worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment