Tuesday 7 August 2018

7/8/2018 Gabriella Jones @ The Hope & Anchor

Tuesday night finds me heading down to Islington to see Gabriella Jones at the Hope & Anchor. It's early doors but I find the place already nearly full. Looking around I notice it's an odd looking crowd for a normal 'rock' gig - only later do I find out it's an industry showcase gig!
The band sound good and the music sounds polished. It's a soulful mixture of rock, pop, and blues. At previous Gabriella Jones gigs I have been at the lady had put her guitar down for a song or two and just performed as a singer with backing band, but tonight she sends the band packing and performs solo - telling us they will be back later.... As indeed they are. Planet Rock radio listeners might recognise the drummer adding rather a Bonham vibe to the show.
I am a little disappointed not to hear the cover Gabriella often plays of Bobby Bland's 'Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City'  and the set is shorter than I expected for a 'headline' show, but it's a 'showcase' gig so.... As usual the set finishes on a high with  Gabriella's catchy radio friendly single 'Take Me To The Party'.
Gabriella tells me after the show that she thought it went very well and she seems pleased with how things went - so hopefully this showcase gig will lead to bigger and better things...

No comments:

Post a Comment