Tuesday 19 April 2016

25/3/2016 The Quireboys @ Islington Academy

Shit bar at the venue - horrible overpriced piss. Wetherspoons next door are having a beer festival - sorted! Once again a music venue won't be taking a pennny of my money over the bar, and they only have themselves to blame.

Inadequate toilet facilities and shit bar aside, Islington Academy is actually quite a good music venue and this is at least the third time I have seen The Quireboys here.
The Quireboys used to be a bit of a shaky live act in their earlier days, although they have always had loads of great songs. When they first played at this venue I thought they were very average, although not everyone else who was there that night agrees with me. However, in recent years they have really been at the top of their game and I reckon they are probably the best  rock 'n' roll band in the country these days - keeping the flame and spirit of The Faces and Rolling Stones burning. I've been less keen on the more laid back and country rock direction the band have been heading in with their last two or three albums, but when they play rock 'n' roll they are still terrific - and this is what they focus on tonight. The band's first album 'A Bit Of What You Fancy' is heavily featured in tonight's setlist, but people wouldn't have it any other way - nostalgia aside, it's still their best collection of songs. Not that there hasn't been some great stuff on later albums too.
It goes without saying that the atmosphere in the venue tonight is great - a Quireboys gig always has a really strong party vibe to it. Everyone is up for having a good time, and the band make sure they do. Spike is in good spirits and on fine form - still one of the best and most charismatic frontmen in the business.
The show ends with members of support bands Bonafide, Hardcore Superstar and Texas Flood joining the band on stage for the last song - it was a really strong support bill but unfortunately circumstances prevented me getting there early enough to see the support bands. As you can see, I didn't really bother much with taking pictures - I knew the results would be crap with my current camera so I just enjoyed the show instead. As expected, it was a great show and I'm sure everyone went home happy. But some of us went to the pub instead....

There were surprisingly few people from the gig in the pub afterwards, but at least that made getting served quicker. Unfortunately my search for the 'Dark Lord' ale and also the new extra strong Iron Maiden '666' one at the Wetherspoons beer festival which is supposed to feature them was to no avail - I shall just have to keep going back to my local 'spoons every day until they appear I guess.....

No comments:

Post a Comment