Tuesday 22 September 2015

9/9/2015 The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing @ The Barfly

I don't go to The Barfly very often these days. It's now on my list of venues I won't drink at, but the main reason I don't go there much any more is because it rarely books decent rock bands any more. As I know I won't be drinking I decide to head down there on the bike - there's a handy motorcycle parking bay round the corner, and I'll also avoid the temptations of the nearby BrewDog with it's tasty but expensive beverages. Petrol costs are cheaper than train fares, and it's only a fiver for a ticket to see The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing so it's a cheap night out all round.

I've been having difficulty getting to see these Steampunk merchants over the past year of so for various reasons, and the last time I did get to see them was under less than ideal conditions at a very overcrowded Camden Rocks festival this summer. Fortunately things are better tonight even though the Barfly is sold out. I decide to concentrate on enjoying the show instead of taking pictures - which I know won't be much good with my current camera anyway.
The band are on good form and seem to be in high spirits (probably gin) most likely due to playing a sold out show to an enthusiastic crowd - the atmosphere is excellent! With their third album 'Not Your Typical Victorians' about to be released The Men... have plenty of material to choose from for their setlist tonight. There are some new songs as well as regular crowd pleasers like 'Third Class Coffin', 'The Gin Song', 'Margate Fhtagn' and the ever popular 'Brunel'. This is probably the only band in the world who seem to be influenced by both Slayer and Chas & Dave! Their lyrics are both intelliigent and funny, while the music is at times very heavy indeed - and what other band features a guitarist playing some of the heaviest riffs you will ever hear -  while wearing a dress? I've no doubt this fucks with some people's heads, but knowing guitarist/stand-up comedian Andrew O'Neill that is probably exactly his intention! This is certainly a band like no other - who else but The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing would release a single on a wax cylinder? Yes really! This band have a keen sense of (mainly Victorian) history and their shows are enormous fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment