Tuesday 5 August 2014

27/8/2010 King Salami And The Cumberland 3 @ The Gaff

SubjectKing Salami And The Cumberland 3 @ The Gaff
PostedDate8/27/2010

It's back to The Gaff for a night of rock 'n' roll - and this time I'm there for the whole
night so there is no escaping the skanky toilet.  The sight of three unused
real ale pumps is depressing and the Newcastle Brown has just run out, but at
least like the 12 Bar Club they have started stocking a selection of quality bottled
ales - at good prices if you are a member. 

As I arrive Death Valley Surfers are drawing to the end of their set of
punk 'n' roll - not a bad band, and I think covered in one or two old blogs
of mine if you can be bothered to search back far enough.

Next up is something a bit different. I've seen the name Atomic Suplex on a few
flyers and posters in the past, but this is the first time I've actually seen or heard
them. When the band are just setting up and checking their gear it's already
apparent that they are going to be very loud - particularly the guitar! People are
already starting to run for cover when the band start playing for real! I think they
intend to be a pure rock 'n' roll band, but the sound is so loud and distorted, not
to mention sounding like some rehearsals could be in order that the effect is more
punk rock.

The frontman really throws himself into it (and the crowd) and gives it 100%.
It all makes for an entertaining show, and I can safely say I have never seen
or heard a band quite like them. There is certainly room for
improvement - as I said, some rehearsals would not go amiss, and I have
never heard so much feedback in my life!

The singer relies mainly on the boom mic attached to his air force bone
dome - which might be adequate while flying a jet fighter, but just makes
a horrible distorted racket when screaming vocals through it as the rock
show. It's a good idea, but maybe he can put a better quality mic in there?
Certainly a band worth seeing though, and it would be interesting to hear
them properly some time.

King Salami and the Cumberland 3 are tonight's headline band, but for
some reason don't go on last.

I've not seen this band before, but their name certainly caught my attention and made me want to check them out as I think it's a fantastic name for a rock 'n' roll band! Guess what? They are a pretty good rock 'n' roll band.  Have they started making Danelectro guitars again? This is the second band tonight to have one and they seem to be turning up a lot more these days. I've got to admit they look cool, even though I don't think they sound that great.

This is proper old school 1950's style rock 'n' roll - and I love that stuff. If you like your rock 'n' roll to sound authentic like as played by the Jim Jones Revue then I think you'll like this lot too. 

King Salami himself is a good frontman in the blues and real R&B tradition, and this band is pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. If the bass player looks familiar it might be because you've seen Jet playing six string in the current version of UK Subs, as well as Sonic Boom Boys back in the day. He's a pretty hot six stringer, but also a very good rock 'n' roll bass player. Towards the end of the set there is a part where the Salami King commands everyone to kneel down - and they do, before jumping up again on cue.

This guy certainly knows how to handle a crowd, but unfortunately his choice of trousers is sadly lacking in rock 'n' roll style. Trouser trouble aside, I've got to say the sausage boys are a really good rock 'n' roll band and I'm sure I'll be going to see them again.

The last band tonight is also new to me. You wouldn't know it, but David Peter & The Wilde Sect are actually from Denmark! I wasn't sure quite what to expect when they got on stage with a Weller/McCartney style frontman - a Scandinavian Mod band? No way! This is a proper early 60's English style rock 'n' roll band - think Beatles/Stones circa 1961 when they were unknown dirty rock 'n' roll bands.

These boys have done their homework and have got the style and sound down really well - without sounding like any sort of tribute band. This is good stuff! Certainly another band I wouldn't mind seeing again.

I've got to say this was a bargain night of rock 'n' roll for only a fiver - the toilets might be rank at The Gaff, but apart from that it's usually great value for money.
PS: This venue is now closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment